04 April 2010

Crazy options for IM clients

On my work machine, I have the following IM clients:
  • Yahoo
  • GTalk
  • Skype
  • Digsby
Digsby supports most IM clients but not Skype. It is a good replacements for most clients at work. The only problem is, its not available for Linux or MacOS. I have tried Trillium at some point of time but found it a little resource hungry.

The problem is my employer does not have its own internal IM. Most people use Yahoo. I think a tie up with Skype to provide IM and teleconferencing facilities would be beneficial. Especially considering Skype's international calling abilities.

At home, I have a Ubuntu machine which gives me the following options:
  • Pidgin
  • Empathy
Pidgin provides most IM features. Empathy is the new IM client added to Ubuntu in the last release. I guess they are planning to finally move to Empathy.
If I want, I have the option to use Skype for Linux but I do not have many contacts there so I don't use it. I also have Ekiga for IP telephony services if I want it at any time.

The problem I have is maintaining my status messages and icon between all these clients. I feel there needs to be a consensus some where.

No comments:

Post a Comment