11 January 2010

UI copyrights & the brave world of tomorrow


The some Chinese developers were in the news as they released a Ubuntu based system which worked like Windows XP. My thoughts were as to to what extent can one extend copyrights to UI design? I don't think so. I did a little bit of searching but could not find anything to this effect. I am under the impression that copyrights can be extended to software for a particular functionality.

Windows XP theme for Ubuntu has been around for a long time and so is Mac OS & Windows 7. If I customize my machine to look like another OS does it mean I am violating the copyrights?

User friendly software and good functionality have helped spread IT. If it were not for MP3, do you think online music would have proliferated as much as it has? Many companies released their personal file formats but MP3 is most expected as it is open and easily shared.

With everyone going into cost cutting measures, its a matter of time that companies force employees to switch to open source OS & software. Firefox has gained recognition as a better browser. Ubuntu and Redhat the same set of security features as Windows and many come with official support. Microsoft is going to have to work harder for its share of the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment